All you need to know about ATS (Applicant Tracking Systems)
Applicant Tracking System is increasingly being used by companies in UAE to manage the job applications, sort through the CVs as well as to rank the CVs as per their requirements. ATS is the newest technology in the recruitment industry and it is important that job seekers adapt their CVs as per the ATS software or else there is a risk that their CVs will never be read.
There are several ways in which you can ensure that your CV is ranked high within the ATS.
1. Use relevant keywords – ATS basically runs on keywords. If your CV does not contain the right keywords, then it may not appear in the employer’s search result. ATS acts like a storage system for CVs. Whenever an employer wants to review CVs for a vacant position they enter certain keywords pertaining to the job. Only those CVs that contain the keywords entered by the employer will show up. For example, if you are interested in a marketing position, make sure your CV contains all the relevant keywords related to marketing jobs. The best way to do this is by scanning the job postings and shortlisting the most commonly used keywords.
2. Give clear headings – Make sure your CV is clearly defined and uses appropriate headings. ATS is able to identify common headings such as summary, experience, education, etc. So make sure you stick to these in order to get through the ATS.
3. Use the correct file type – Some ATS accept both word as well as PDF files while others accept only Word files. A job posting will often mention the type of file required. If not mentioned then it is better to submit a word file only.
4. Stick to minimal formatting – ATS is not very tolerant towards highly formatted documents. Its ability to decode fancy fonts, images, graphics, etc. is limited. Therefore, keep your CV simple and clean. Avoid using any graphics or tables as they may just end up appearing as empty spaces on your CV.
5. Clearly mention the work experience – Experience details should ideally be mentioned in the following order – Position, Company and Job period. Do not group job titles within the same company in case you have held multiple positions. It may appear haphazardly in the ATS. List your job roles below each position using bullet points.
This is a comprehensive guide to get you through the majority of ATS software that is currently being used by major organizations across the world. Apart from this, you always have to keep in mind that the final audience to your CV is going to be a human. Therefore, draft your CV in such a manner that it is also appealing to the employers. It is necessary that you maintain the right balance between presentation and content. Professional CV writers are experts in creating ATS compatible CVs. So if you are unsure whether your CV meets the ATS standards then don’t hesitate to take up a professional CV writing service in UAE.