Tips for Creating a Video CV- Best of 2022
September 21, 2017Cover LetterCV WritingEducational VideosNewsResume writing
A video CV is not meant to replace the traditional CV but instead, it enhances the impact of your job application. Job seekers want to stand out from the crowd and a video CV is a great way to do that. While a traditional CV provides a brief description of your work experiences and skills, a video CV can give the employers a feel of your personality. It provides greater insight into what you can offer.
Tips for Creating a Video CV:
Before you start creating a video resume, keep the following points in mind:
- Look professional: Make sure you are dressed professionally as you would for an interview. The language should be professional. Avoid using slang words at all times. Special attention should be given to the backdrop. Shoot the video in a clean and quiet location in order to avoid any background noise in the video.
- Make a script: A video resume should come off as naturally as possible. You do not want it to look like you are reading off from a paper as it makes it very dull. But at the same time, you should also not appear clueless and unprepared. Make a list of points that you want to cover and practice them before the actual shoot. Start with a brief introduction of yourself and then talk about your skills and accomplishments and how you can add value to the organization. It is similar to a sales pitch, except in this case you are selling yourself!
- Customize as per the audience: All the elements of the video, such as the script, location and the overall look should be as per the employer you are targeting. For example, a job application to a bank, calls for a more professional look compared to an application for an anchoring job. The use of language should be according to the job application by making sure you include the right industry keywords. If you want it to be more personalized, you can do a little research on the employer and include tidbits about their company in your script.
- Use visuals: A great thing about video resumes is that you can show the employers what your skills are instead of just telling. For example, if you are great at giving presentations, you can include a short clip of a presentation you have given in the past. Similarly, there are many other things you can show the employers to create a greater impact and make the most of your video resume.
- Keep it to the point: The most crucial thing is to keep the video short, ideally not over a minute long. Anything longer and the employers are likely to lose interest. The video should be engaging right from the beginning.
- Get feedback: Share the video with your friends and family and ask for their feedback. Make edits based on their comments. If they feel the video is not up to the mark, do not share it with the employers. If you do not have the right resources to create the video yourself, take help from professional CV writing services in UAE who specialize in creating impactful video CVs.